It's Not Nag, It's Just Me

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Entering Bates Motel…A Series of Unfortunate Meals

Well, I normally do not do this, i.e writing this review after a few days of the visit but I had no choice since I was down with food poisoning. Not that I’m pointing fingers at any parties since food poisoning is kinda complicated when you have so many touch points across the day and it usually starts within an hour and up to 48 hours after consumption. So I have to track back my trail with a few possibilities came up. Again not naming names.

But anyway, this is supposed to be about FoodWave. It’s my second visit to this restaurant. While I’m not trying to be bias but one just can’t stop me from comparing my recent experiences with FoodLoft back in Bangkok.

One thing that I like about this restaurant is its seaview, especially when it’s not too bright and windy, that it kinda give you that calm peaceful moment that one would enjoy. Sadly, the positive part of this restaurant stops here.

As I reached the entrance, the male staff after giving me the standard ‘wai’ greeting but with a straight face, passed me a card without saying anything. Or perhaps I looked like a local, that one would assumed I knew how the system work. Since the sun has yet to set, both my friend and I decided to find a table at the open air section.

It actually took us more than 5 minutes before we realized that the staffs don’t really bother patrons at the open air section. We had a debate if we should switch to the indoor or to wait. Fortunately, a staff came out to serve a table nearby that we managed to get her interest. And this is how it went:

Us: Hi. What’s the table number?
Staff: HUH?! (mouth kinda widely open, with a WTF expression)
Us: (slowly and clearly). Table number.
Staff: Oh. (She scribbled something at the back of our card and left).

Time for food. Went to the Chinese stall. The staff there was okay, trying to check if I need help. Ordered the Egg Noodles with Barbeque Pork. Sadly the Taro Dumpling was not available. So I had the Fried Prawn Dumpling. Also had the Jasmine Tea but again, it doesn’t come in a pot.

The noodle arrived shortly after. Looked okay but as the saying…never judge a book by its cover. It was bloody salty. Nothing but salty. And the worst part, the vegetable is cold. I’m awared that most restaurants will normally pre-cooked the vegetables but at least have some sense in putting it back into the boiling water for a few seconds before serving. The prawn dumpling came much later. Hot and crispy it was, but salty it was too. Is salt getting cheaper these days?

The rest of the experience is something that I don’t truly enjoy mainly due to the food poisoning taken into effect. But then, it’s not really the restaurant fault.

Overall, excluding the latter part of the evening, there’s one feeling that I got throughout the visit. And funnily, it’s unexplainable. It’s like something is not right with the place but you just can’t point it out. Imagine we were in those horror movies, that when we reached the haunted house or hotel, we had that creepy feeling that something is amiss but we can’t clearly figure it out. To use the word ‘Creepy’ is a bit exaggerated but then again, I just can’t find any better word to describe the staff, with the relatively unwelcome yet not disinterested facial expression.

I did mention about comparing with FoodLoft earlier. While the price is much more premium but the service is really excellent. The staff was attentive, put a ‘reserved’ sign on your table straight away, so that we could leave the table and order our food without worries. And if the staff noticed that we were walking with our food, he/she will make an effort to assist us. But then again, perhaps I shouldn’t compare since it’s unfair to tell a tangerine to act like an orange.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home