It's Not Nag, It's Just Me

Friday, July 28, 2006

I've Got No Story to Tell

That was what I got myself into by the time I finish putting in all the commentaries into my quarterly report. Being in the Market Research (MR) industry, I've been trained and nagged by my mentor and seniors that when presenting a MR findings, always tell a story. Most of the time, you may get a few short stories but having the challenge of linking them together (like linking Snow White with Harry Potter!). And the worst, especially for a tracking study, there are times when you would end up having no story to tell...

The presentation was less than 48 hours away and I'm desperately in need of a story to tell, since my 'recommendation' slide is totally blank. It was 1am, that I decided to give up, not that the music coming from pandora helps since it was breaking frequently. And the fact that I have another report to go through and create another story does not make it any easier.

Fortunately, it was the next morning that I somehow stumble upon a little storyline (or it was me who force it a storyline) which I quickly leverage to complete my report. At least I have a story.

True enough, my client did not buy the story, which almost end my career as a Storyteller. The top management has been telling us to provide more insightful analysis, more detailed and actionable ones. And when we decide to do it, we got f**ked left and right by the client simply it's not something that they want to hear. A good lesson learned...next quarter, I'll stick to a classic fairy tale storyline.




2 Comments:

  • At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah..sometimes our bosses want us to give insights and all but the clients when they get those stories they don't want to listen to it. Proactive huh?

     
  • At 2:43 PM, Blogger MISYA said…

    Sometime our bosses want us to tell the clients the insight but these are not the things that the clients want to hear or listen...we're trapped huh?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home